Punjab University of Chandigarh introduces a fee hike by 12.5% for freshers aspiring admission in the 2017-18 academic session at the university.
The hike has been made in various professional courses with the due consent of the Senate. The meeting which was chaired by the PU Vice-Chancellor, Prof Arun Kumar Grover finally accepted the proposal of revising the tuition fee for the students.
After the last years increase in examination fee by over 30%, PU had decided earlier to hike annual tuition fee for the 2017-18 academic session by around 5%. While implementing the same, the rise is observed to be around 12.5% which is more than double the proposal.
These are the reasons why this hike was introduced:
- To beat the on going financial crunch at the University
- Hike in school fee calls for hike in fee at professional level
- Better teaching standards and quality education
- To look comparable to other universities in Punjab
- No hike for past one decade in the annual tuition fee
New Fee Structure
- MSc (Microbial biotech): Rs 45,000
- B Pharma: Rs 50,000
- MA Social work: Rs 35,000
- MA Journalism: Rs 30,000
- LLM: Rs 25,000
- 4-year BDS course at Dr HSJID and hospital, PU: Rs 1,50,000
- BA/BCom: Rs 10,000
- BE Chemical: Rs 90,000
- BA/LLB, UILS: Rs 75,000
Fee Concession Facility
Though University authorities have decided to provide some relief to students by allowing fee concessions. The facility can be availed by students who have done their Class XII from a government school and with parents’ income lying between 2.5 lpa to 5.0 lpa for 50% concession and upto 2.5 lpa for 75% concession in the fee by producing necessary documents like income certificates to support the facts at the time of admission. To accommodate these changes, new admission forms are being redesigned too.